1. Marriage experts talk about “conscious couples”.
The more conscious you are about who you are and what you are bringing to the relationship, the more interesting and dynamic the relationship will be. Conscious couples know that a happy relationship requires work and that it doesn’t stop the day you get married/ move in together!
2. In successful relationships the couple have shared values.
Get to know sooner rather than later what each other’s values are. Do you want the same things in life? Is there a strong friendship between you?
3. Relationships are an opportunity for our personal growth.
Understand what your needs are in life and work out how you can get them met in a healthy, adult way. Try and understand what you may unconsciously bring to the relationship that may undermine or sabotage it!
4. Happy relationships need to be nurtured and cared for like anything else that is important to you.
Neglected relationships whither and die. Work out how you can nurture your relationship. Have fun showing how much you love your partner!
5. Research shows that happy couples give 5 positives for every negative
So keep up the positive feedback to your partner. On a daily basis tell them what they do that you appreciate. We all like to feel appreciated!
6. It’s important to find a way to deal constructively with problems in the relationship as soon as possible.
Make it safe for both you and your partner to talk openly and honestly about what is happening for you. Don’t expect your partner to be a mind reader!
7. All of us need to feel understood and heard.
Make sure you spend time listening to your partner and understanding what their needs are and how you can help them get them met.